Know someone making a difference who could use part of our $1 million donation?
Find all of our articles, all in one place
Browse articles by topic
- 04.25.18What boomers could teach millennials about saving
- 01.05.18Gifts to grandkids: Can you afford to be more generous?
- 10.27.17Preventing future strife: make estate planning a family affair
- 10.27.17Discussing money when your spouse is on another planet
- 10.20.17Supporting adult children—after you’ve retired
- 08.15.17Watch: 5 reasons to talk about estate planning
- 01.12.17How to manage important documents
- 08.29.16How to choose an executor for your estate
- 07.04.16Independence Day—For the adult child you’re still supporting
- 05.05.16Protect your mom (and dad) from financial fraud
- 02.26.18Asking your future self for a loan
- 12.18.17Pay off your credit card debt faster: a 4-step plan
- 10.25.17You can’t choose your family, but you can choose your debt: pros and cons of family cosigning
- 10.25.17Relieve your debt stress—the Ancient Greek way
- 10.23.17What moms may want to ask before co-signing on a credit card
- 03.08.17This “72 rule” may inspire you to save more
- 08.04.16Generation Spend: A third of Gen-Xers have no emergency savings
- 07.21.16What happens to my debts after I die?
- 06.13.16Repaying student loans after 30: A guide for not-so-recent graduates
- 04.25.18Make the most of your portfolio in your younger years
- 04.25.185 must-have financial goals
- 02.12.18Trade your piggy bank for a pyramid
- 01.09.18Tax tips for gifting money to loved ones
- 01.08.18Approaching 70? Don’t miss the RMD deadline!
- 01.03.18Don’t have kids? You still need an e state plan!
- 07.27.17How nutrient-dense is your portfolio?
- 07.25.17Should you stay or should you go? That’s the question.
- 07.12.17Retirement Planning
- 07.06.175 tips for comparing homeowners insurance online
- 06.30.17Don’t mistake your nest for a nest egg
- 06.27.175 questions to ask before renovating
- 06.06.17Don’t “do” or “have” a budget: Be it!
- 06.06.17Watch: Joy based spending
- 02.08.17Is it ever okay to borrow from your retirement account?
- 01.26.17Put idle money to work on a “CD ladder”
- 08.26.16Estate planning for singles
- 08.12.16How to handle a big, unplanned expense
- 04.25.18Be financially prepared for these 4 big life events
- 02.13.18Set your financial goals for 2018—in under 20 minutes
- 01.22.18Second marriages: Beware these 4 common pitfalls
- 10.26.174 best practices to deal with job loss
- 10.23.17Splitting the nest egg: What to look out for
- 04.07.17Watch: Living your passions in your bonus years
- 01.23.17Deny now, pay later
- 12.20.16Collecting Social Security on your exʼs earnings
- 08.17.16Seek out ways to maximize your retirement income
- 08.01.167 financial mistakes people make during divorce
- 07.06.16Should I accept that tempting early retirement package?
- 03.03.16Living Your Passions in Your Bonus Years
- 01.05.16How Much Will You Need In Retirement?
- 02.16.18Reset your goals by upgrading your wetware
- 02.15.18Disconnected from coworkers? It may be bad for you
- 02.02.18Stressed at work? Learn when to say “no.”
- 12.18.17Your end-of-year review: A chance to re-negotiate
- 11.24.17Why I wish I had a money mentor in my 30’s
- 10.25.17Give more of yourself: join a nonprofit board
- 10.20.17Take this job and love it
- 02.08.17Working from home: Does it work for you?
- 10.18.16Pursuing your passion
- 08.17.16Working moms: Carve out quality family time
- 08.09.16Company benefits for unmarried couples
- 02.15.18A healthcare account that benefits the healthy
- 12.18.17Digital detox: The no-cost luxury retreat
- 12.18.17Bend these 3 “golden” rules to be single and successful
- 10.23.17How unconscious “money memories” may shape our behavior
- 08.01.17Five Reasons You Need a Vacation Now
- 07.20.17Your “right brain” reveals what future success might look like
- 06.19.17Watch: Master your money with your mind
- 05.26.17Give yourself permission to make mistakes
- 05.02.17The perils of mothering your mom
- 05.01.17Tip #1 for a cheaper vacation: Bring your own bed!
- 05.01.17Why I love to get “hygge” - Part 2
- 05.01.17Why I love to get “hygge” - Part 1
- 01.12.17Accepting what you canʼt control
- 11.21.16Live according to your core values
- 10.19.16Planning for Medical Costs in Retirement? How to stack the deck in your favor
- 08.31.16Keep an eye on your health to help avoid high healthcare costs in retirement
Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America has sponsored Ask the Expert posts for informational purposes only. Many of the experts are unaffiliated with Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America, College Retirement Equities Fund, and their affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively TIAA), and TIAA makes no representations regarding the accuracy or completeness of any information on the posts or otherwise made available by the experts. Statements of external featured experts are solely their own and are not endorsed or recommended by TIAA.
Responses from experts to questions posed by Woman2Woman community members are intentionally general in nature and are not intended to give personal, financial, or specific advice. Some strategies are complex, and more information is often needed to determine the personal needs of a community member. We strongly recommend that you consult with a financial advisor before taking any action based on an expert’s response or other information you obtain from the Woman2Woman: Financial Living site so that all of your personal circumstances can be taken into consideration. Participation in the site does not render the member a client of the expert or of TIAA.
This site is not designed to accept or respond to requests or complaints regarding specific TIAA accounts, products or services. If you wish to discuss an issue of that nature, please contact TIAA at 800-842-2252. TIAA is not responsible for any opinions provided by members of this site. TIAA is not responsible for the content or privacy policies of third-party sites to which you may link.
Any tax information provided is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, to avoid possible tax penalties. TIAA and its representatives do not offer tax or legal advice. You should consult an independent tax or legal advisor for advice based on your own particular circumstances.
The material and responses are for informational or educational purposes only and do not constitute a recommendation or investment advice in connection with a distribution, transfer or rollover, a purchase or sale of securities or other investment property, or the management of securities or other investments, including the development of an investment strategy or retention of an investment manager or advisor. The material and responses do not take into account any specific objectives or circumstances of any particular individual, or suggest any specific course of action. Investment decisions should be made in consultation with an investor’s personal advisor based on the investor’s own objectives and circumstances.
Certain products and services may not be available to all entities or persons.
Experts may not have medical or scientific training. Any information related to physical or emotional health is not intended to be used in place of a consultation with a physician.
TIAA is not responsible for the statements of community members. We may link to posts made by community members only to direct you to topics that may be of interest to you. This does not mean that we agree with the opinions of these community members. Their statements are solely their own and are not endorsed or recommended by TIAA.