Search our FAQ library or browse by topic.
There are several technology companies that offer end-to-end notarization systems. TIAA has partnered with Notarize.com (www.Notarize.com/TIAAOpens in a new window ) to offer a digital and secure way for you to fulfill notarization requirements for your forms.
Remote online notarization allows you to appear before a Notary using the internet instead of being physically present in the same room at the time of the notarization.
Standard notarization requires you to appear in person before a commissioned Notary Public and provide proof of identity, sign (or acknowledge their signature on) a document, and, if the document requires a sworn statement, be placed under oath.
Remote online notarizations are similar, with these additional benefits: Your requirement to appear in person is accomplished using a live audio-video call between you and a commissioned notary.
You and the Notary complete your respective portions of the document electronically, then the Notary's electronic seal and digital certificate are attached to your document in lieu of a physical stamp. You can print your completed notarized document or share it electronically, and you'll have access to a video recording of the transaction.
A single document can be notarized for $25 using Notarize.com's platform, paid directly to Notarize. There's no additional fee per additional seal in a document. If you need multiple forms/transactions notarized (e.g., spousal waiver and power of attorney), there's no additional fee provided the additional forms are included within the same notary session. If an additional separate notary session is needed, the notary transaction fee is $25.
Note that all files should be in a PDF format and the maximum file size is 30MB.
Yes, it is. However, certain states and public agencies have specific additional requirements and limitations for accepting electronically-signed documents and out-of-state notarizations.
To have the best experience possible, please prepare for your online notary meeting by having:
- A single PDF of all the pages of your form. (You have the option to digitally complete it after upload.)
- All signatures that don't require notarization prior to uploading
- One form of ID
- The last four (4) digits of your U.S. Social Security number
- A strong internet connection and a valid email address
- An iPhone, iPad, Android device or computer with video and audio capabilities
- 15 minutes to complete your online notarization
- A credit card to pay the notarization fee
Acceptable forms of ID include the following photo IDs if valid and unexpired:
- U.S. state-issued driver’s license
- U.S. state-issued photo ID
- U.S. Passport book
- U.S. Passport card
- Certificate of U.S. citizenship
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Foreign passport
- Alien Registration Card with photo
- Military ID
Your state may have other allowable IDs or may exclude use of some items on this list.
No. While TIAA has partnered with Notarize, we also accept remote online notarizations from NotaryCam.com.
No. It's your choice and for your convenience. If you're comfortable meeting with a Notary Public in person, feel free to do so.
- TIAA customer needs to sign the respective forms before beginning a notary session
- The spouse of the TIAA customer is the individual who needs to have his/her signature notarized
- The spouse of the TIAA customer needs to provide a valid government issued ID (e.g. valid driver’s license)
- Upon completion the notarization, the TIAA customer needs to login and upload notarized documents via Shared FilesOpens in a new window and select "Yes" to the question "Are these files being used to process a transaction?" (this is a final step)