Get The Basics
What is a brokerage account?
A brokerage account lets you buy a variety of investment assets—like mutual funds, stocks, ETFs, bonds and more.
A brokerage account is generally less restrictive than an IRA or retirement account; there is no contribution limit and you can withdraw your money at any time for any reason. However, brokerage accounts are often not tax-advantaged—you may have to pay taxes on any earnings you receive.
What we offer
Buy stocks, exchange traded funds (ETFs) and options online or with the TIAA mobile app for $0 per trade.1
- No cost or minimum to open an account
- No maintenance fees
- Over 3,000 No Transaction Fee Mutual Funds
What you get with TIAA Brokerage
Featured Investment Options
Conservative, aggressive or in-between, our Lifestyle funds provide instant diversification2 within a single solution.3
These funds offer competitive returns while promoting economic development, a healthier environment and a positive impact in society.
Pick the fund with a year closest to when you plan to retire. It will automatically adjust to become more conservative over time.3
Our experienced professionals can help you clarify your goals and learn about investing.
Research and screening tools to help you find investments.
We can manage your portfolio for you based on your personal needs and goals.4
Ways to use a TIAA brokerage account
You can hold different types of investments within a brokerage account, depending on whether you want to prepare for retirement or invest for another goal. Brokerage investments can include:
|Mutual funds||A collection of investments in a single fund |
TIAA Brokerage Mutual Fund Families
|CERTIFICATE OF DEPOSITS (CDS)||A savings account that holds a deposit for a set period of time in exchange for a higher interest rate|
|EXCHANGE TRADED FUNDS (ETFS)||Different types of investments that are bundled together to trade on various stock exchanges|
|Stocks||An investment that represents a share of ownership in a company|
|Bonds||A loan made by an investor to a borrower, usually in exchange for a fixed interest payment|
How It Works
How to open up a brokerage account
It only takes a few minutes to open a brokerage account online.
1. Answer a few questions
2. Submit the online application
3. Fund your account
4. Research investments
Help me choose
Need help deciding which route to go?
How does an account work?
- Start with a lump sum of money in your account or add to it over time.
- Fund through a variety of methods.
- Find investments to help you meet your financial goal(s) on your own or with support from your advisor.
- Mutual funds
- ETFs (Exchange-traded funds)
- CDs (Certificates of Deposit)
- Over 7,000 funds from TIAA, Nuveen and other firms
- Lifestyle and Lifecycle (target date) funds
- Indexed or actively managed
Where can I find a TIAA Brokerage form?
- Anyone, as long you're an adult and a U.S. resident.
Does TIAA Brokerage have a mobile app?
- Visit our TIAA Brokerage Forms page or give us a call at (800) 927-3059, Weekdays 8:00 a.m to 7:00 p.m. ET.
- Yes, you are able to view account balances, review activities, obtain a quote, place a trade, and more.
- Visit our TIAA Mobile page for more details.