- Balance History: The graph displays the market value of your account over the time period shown as compared to your net investment.
- Beginning Balance: Your account’s value at the beginning of the period shown.
- Current Allocation: The asset allocation of your account, as of close of business prior day. Most of the time, your asset allocation will be in line with the investment strategy assigned to your account; however, there are times when it will deviate. Examples include: 1) upon funding, as it is unlikely you have funded your account with the exact mix of securities and cash as in your strategy; 2) any time you deposit funds, as it takes time for these new funds to be invested; 3) any time there is a withdrawal or fee, as securities must be sold and moved to cash before they can be distributed 4) any time you edit your goal and it results in a new investment strategy, as the investments under your current strategy must be sold in order to purchase securities for your new strategy.
- Current Balance: Value of the positions in your account as of the close of prior business day.
- Deposits and Withdrawals: During the reported period, this includes cash/securities deposited into your account and cash/securities transferred or withdrawn from your account.
- Investing Styles: We offer three types of investing styles:
- Basic: These accounts consist of mostly passively managed index mutual funds and/or exchange traded funds (ETFs). Passive fund managers typically seek to replicate market returns and risk of an index.
- Insight: These accounts consist of mostly actively managed mutual funds and/or ETFs in an attempt to deliver better (either in terms of higher returns and/or reduced risk) performance than the market in general.
- Impact: These accounts consist of mostly actively managed funds that are focused on investing in socially responsible companies. TIAA has offered socially responsible funds since 1990. Learn more.
- Investments: Shows your account holdings as of close prior business day.
- Investment Strategy: The strategy selected for your account based on your selections across risk level and investing style. You may change your inputs – and the resulting investment strategy – online any time. If your financial situation or investment objectives change, please let us know by updating your inputs or by contacting us at 844-362-8422.
- Net Appreciation: During the reporting period, this is your Current Balance less Beginning Balance, net of any Deposits and Withdrawals.
- Personalization: You may impose reasonable restrictions (otherwise referred to as further “personalization”) upon the management or your account by calling a TIAA consultant at 844-362-8422. With this request we will select an alternative security in place of a security that was initially selected for your account.
- Rate of Return: Rate of return is a measure of performance, which represents the time-weighted rate of return (TWRR) for the managed assets in your TIAA Personal Portfolio for the periods shown. It is derived by aggregating all the market values for your account on a daily basis and calculating the return. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
- Recurring Deposits: The amount you scheduled to be deposited into your account periodically according to the frequency you set using a linked bank account of your choice.
- Risk Level: A measure of how much risk you are comfortable taking on in your account. You can choose between Conservative, Moderately Conservative, Moderate, Moderately Aggressive and Aggressive. We use this information to ensure your account is comprised of a blend of investments related to your stated risk level. You can change your risk level at any time by updating your inputs online.
Key Terms & Definitions