Know someone making a difference who could use part of our $1 million donation?
GET THE BASICS
Planning for lifetime income with growth potential and low costs
You can choose from our eight CREF Variable Annuity Accounts—all designed to help you create retirement income.*
How they work
Putting money in
- Through your employer’s retirement plan or your own IRA*
- With potential for upside growth1
Taking money out
- As a stream of lifetime income payments
- As scheduled withdrawals or in a lump sum
* For eligible participants only.
CREF Stock: the first variable annuity
The CREF Stock Account invests in equities of companies of all sizes, all around the world.
Proven track record
CREF Stock (R1 class) has averaged an annual return of nearly 9.68% since it began.*
First to market
CREF Stock was the first variable annuity offered in the world when it was launched in 1952.
Seasoned professionals oversee CREF Stock with a focus on long-term performance.
Today, millions of people rely on CREF Stock to build their savings and plan for lifetime income.
*As of March 31, 2017. See latest CREF Stock performance. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
More annuities to choose from
CREF Variable Annuity Accounts offer low-cost investment options that can be converted into lifetime income.
Invests in the broad U.S. equity market.OBJECTIVE
The CREF Equity Index Account invests in a diversified portfolio of publicly traded U.S. stocks represented by a broad market index.GOOD IF YOU WANT:
- An account that invests in a broad range of U.S. company stocks
- An investment that tracks a broad U.S. equity benchmark
A low cost approach to investing in the U.S. equity market.
Invests broadly across global markets.1 OBJECTIVE The CREF Global Equities Account invests globally in companies of all sizes.GOOD IF YOU WANT:
- An account that invests broadly in companies across markets worldwide
- A diversified global equity investment
1 The CREF Global Equities account invests in securities that involve certain risks, including currency fluctuations and controls, restrictions on foreign investments, less governmental supervision and regulation, less liquidity and the potential for market volatility and politicial instability. In addition, investing in emerging markets may involve a relatively higher degree of volatility.
- Leverages TIAA’s long history of experience investing in international markets, which dates back to 1973
- A core equity investment that complements TIAA Traditional, our flagship guaranteed fixed annuity
Invests in stocks with a focus on innovation and growth.1OBJECTIVE The CREF Growth Account invests in large, established companies, with innovative solutions that enhance earnings or cash flow prospects.GOOD IF YOU WANT:
- An account with long-term growth potential
- To invest in market-leading companies with potential for sustained above-average growth
- A diversified approach to large-cap growth investing
QUICK FACTS Morningstar top-quartile total returns and overall 4-star risk-adjusted performance rankings over 3, 5 and 10 year periods ending 4/30/17 (among 1,301, 1,146 and 799 peers, respectively).1 The CREF Growth Account is subject to equity market risk and style risk.
Invests in stocks and bonds with a social and global focus.1OBJECTIVE The Social Choice Account invests in a diversified portfolio of bonds and global stocks while giving special consideration to certain environmental, social and governance (“ESG”) factors.GOOD IF YOU WANT:
- An investment in U.S. fixed-income securities and global stocks with a social focus
- An investment in a diversified, long-term balanced portfolio
- Proactive investing in socially responsible companies that are suitable from a financial perspective
QUICK FACTS Early pioneer in socially responsible investing – since 1990.1 Because the social screens exclude some investments, the CREF Social Choice Account may not be able to take advantage of the same opportunities or market trends as accounts that do not use such criteria.
Invests primarily in intermediate-term bonds.1OBJECTIVE The CREF Bond Market Account mainly invests in high-quality intermediate-term corporate and government fixed-income securities.GOOD IF YOU WANT:
QUICK FACTSCurrently ranked 3 stars overall based on risk-adjusted returns as of 6/30/16 (953 funds) and has never received a rating under 3 stars since February 2003.2
- A core bond investment with broad diversification
- An investment with a focus on long-term stability
1 Fixed-income securities like the CREF Bond Market and Inflation-linked Bond accounts are subject to interest-rate risk. When interest rates rise, the value of the fixed-income securities generally declines. Fixed-income funds are also subject to interest rate, inflation and credit risks.
Invests in inflation-protected bonds.OBJECTIVE The CREF Inflation-Linked Bond Account invests in fixed-income securities that seek to protect U.S. dollar investors from a loss of “real buying power” due to inflation.GOOD IF YOU WANT:
- Protection against inflation
- Pure exposure to U.S. inflation-indexed securities
- An investment in a low risk, fixed-income strategy
QUICK FACTS A pioneer in inflation-linked bond investments.
Invests in high-quality, highly-liquid securities.1OBJECTIVE Invests in high-quality short-term securities that aim to preserve capital and provide income.GOOD IF YOU WANT:
- An account that seeks to preserve capital
- An investment that is suitable for a shorter time horizon
- An account that provides high current income
Successfully navigated every financial and credit cycle and downturn over the last two decades.1 An investment in the CREF Money Market Account is not insured or guaranteed by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or any other government agency.
Investing through all market conditions
- We invented variable annuities and continue to lead with innovative thinking and low costs.
- We remain faithful to our proven long-term investment approach, regardless of short-term trends.
Have questions about how to invest in CREF accounts? Call our consultants for personal guidance at no additional cost to you.
Getting started with the CREF Accounts
How to get started if the CREF Accounts are available in your retirement plan.
Already with TIAA?
You can start saving in our CREF Accounts by updating your investment options online.
New to TIAA?
You can enroll to take full advantage of your employer’s retirement plan.
Give us a call
We’re here to help.
Weekdays, 8 a.m. – 10 p.m. (ET)
Saturday, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. (ET)
Saturday, 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. (ET)
Roger Ferguson, CEO