- If you worked and paid payroll taxes for at least 10 years, you qualify for Medicare at age 65.
- Individuals younger than 65 with disabilities may also qualify.
- You must also be a U.S. citizen (or married to one that has paid Social Security taxes for at least 10 years).
Is it free?
- No. There may be monthly premiums, deductibles, copays and limits, just like with other health plans.
- Monthly premiums for Medicare Parts B and D are based on annual taxable income.
- Premiums for Medicare Supplement policies vary widely by policy type and state.
- A variety of options let you tailor Medicare to your needs.