Details CSR and responsible investing initiatives on governance, diversity and inclusion, community and sustainability
New York, November 15, 2018 – TIAA’s efforts to maximize its positive impact on society and the people and institutions was highlighted today in the publication of its second Responsible Business Report.
“Throughout our first 100 years, TIAA has made a positive impact in many ways – from volunteering in our local schools to pursuing responsible investing around the globe,” said Roger W. Ferguson, Jr., president and CEO of TIAA. “As we enter our second century of operation, we remain guided by the values that have brought us this far and committed to improving the lives of our customers and stakeholders through responsible business practices.”
The latest report covers TIAA’s corporate social responsibility and responsible investing policies and programs across four key impact areas: governance, diversity and inclusion, community, and sustainability. It also details progress of key milestones over the past year, including:
- Responsible Investing – more than $650 billioni of total firm assets now adhere to the United Nations’ Principles for Responsible Investment (UNPRI).
- Diversity and inclusion – more than 6,500 employees have completed some or all of the Journey to Inclusion program, an initiative designed to increase awareness of common biases and provide tools for managers in hiring, coaching, and developing diverse teams.
- Sustainability – seven of TIAA’s offices in New York, Charlotte and Denver have achieved the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star Label.
- Community – employees participated in 100 Days of Difference, a nationwide employee volunteer and community service program between March 5 and June 12, 2018 as part of the company’s centennial celebration. Over the course of these 100 days, over 9,000 TIAA volunteers participated in 341 projects, impacting more than 650,000 lives.
- Governance – Nuveen’s Responsible Investing team supported 100% of shareholder proposals requesting disclosure of a company’s climate risk and plans to manage its carbon footprint in 2018.
As the investment management division of TIAA, Nuveen is one of the largest managers of responsible investment assets in the industry, with two-thirds of its investments across asset categories managed according to the United Nations-backed Principles of Responsible Investment.
“Our number one goal is growing and protecting our clients’ investments in a way that meets their long-term needs and expectations,” said Vijay Advani, CEO of Nuveen. “Responsible investing plays an important role in how this is done. We believe the right investments can create positive outcomes for investors and the communities where we live. Responsible investing is a journey and not a destination.”
For more information about how TIAA is making an impact and to read a full copy of this year’s responsible business report, please visit https://www.tiaa.org/public/pdf/tiaa-responsible-business-report.pdf .
TIAA (www.tiaa.org) is a unique financial partner. With an award-winningii track record for consistent performance, TIAA is the leading provider of financial services in the academic, research, medical, cultural and government fields. TIAA has $1 trillion in assets under management (as of 9/30/2018)iii and offers a wide range of financial solutions, including investing, banking, advice and guidance, and retirement services.